With tax season right around the corner, many homeowners are wondering: Can I write off the costs of my expensive bathroom remodel, patio addition, or kitchen upgrade?
According this professional real estate and home improvement writer by Emma Diehl and her research, the answer is a bit complicated. Take some time to read through her research and pinpoint the details you may be looking for in your exact scenario.
This in-depth write up covers:
- Capital gains on your primary home, explained
- Capital improvements and your cost basis
- Capital improvements vs. repairs
- Renovations for medical purposes
- Moving expenses for the military
- Space used as a home office
- Energy efficient improvements
- Write-offs on home improvements